Superman back extensions are used for strengthening the muscles of the lower back, shoulders and gluteal muscles, but the exercise can also used for osteoporosis! Patients that may be at risk for osteoporosis or osteopenia include post-menopausal females, the elderly, and individuals that have been on medications that may decrease bone density. One important way to stimulate bone remodeling is weight bearing activity. Superman back extensions are a great way to provide weight bearing into the vertebra in the spine. These bones are at risk for compression fracture if osteoporosis or osteopenia is present.
How to perform:
- Lay on your stomach on a flat surface such as the floor, exercise mat, or your bed.
- Place your arms above your head
- Simultaneously raise both arms and both legs off the ground and hold for 3-5 seconds
- Lower both arms and legs to the ground
- Aim to keep your knees straight when raising your legs
- Repeated for 10-15 repetitions
- Perform for 2-3 sets 1-3 days per week
Superman back extensions are a great exercise for bone health for patients experiencing osteopenia or osteoporosis. Always consult with your physician prior to beginning an exercise program. If you are experiencing back pain, contact our office today to schedule an appointment.
Book an appointment online today at ledermanchiropractic.janeapp.com
Yours in health,