Side planks are one of our favorite exercises to prescribe for core strengthening. The side plank exercise can be beneficial for patients experiencing low back pain, neck pain, midback pain, and even shoulder pain.
How to perform:
- Start laying on your side with your bottom elbow bent at a 90 degree angle with your forearm and elbow underneath your shoulder
- Your knees should also be bent at a 90 degree angle and thighs lined up together
- Your top hand should be placed on your pelvis
- To start the exercise, lift up your bottom pelvis and hip off the ground and hold the position
- Start off by trying for 10-15 seconds and come down
- Switch sides and perform 2-3 sets each side
- When 10-15 seconds is easy, start increasing the time to hold by 5-10 seconds at a time
- Aim to get to 1 minute incrementally
Side planks are a great exercise for core strengthening. Add the exercise to your regular exercise routine and try to perform 1-2 days per week.
We always recommend making an appointment for any new onset spinal or extremity pain as well as for re-aggravations of previous back or extremity pain to properly diagnose the underlying cause and to determine the most appropriate treatment.
To make an appointment, click on the following link: https://ledermanchiropractic.janeapp.com/
Yours in health,
We guide our patients with effective strategies for pain relief so that they can get back to the activities they love.