Bird dogs are a great exercise to promote spinal stability and core strengthening. The exercise involves coordination of the lower and upper body while maintaining stability and balance in the trunk and spine. Patients suffering a variety of symptoms can benefit from the exercise including but not limited to : low back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, mid to upper back pain, sciatica and hip pain.
How to perform:
- Start in a quadriped position (on hands and knees)
- Your wrists/hands should be underneath your shoulders
- Your knees should be underneath your hips
- Both your knees and hands should be shoulder width apart
- Next, simultaneously lift one arm and the opposite leg
- The leg and arm should raise to be even horizontally with your torso
- Extend your elbow and knee to make sure you have a straight line in both extremities
- Hold the top position for 1-2 seconds so that your body has to use core muscles to maintain the position
- Return to the start position and perform on the opposite arm/leg
- Repeated for 10-15 reps on each side for a total of 20-30 reps
- Perform 2 sets per session and perform a couple days per week
Bird dogs are a great exercise for strengthening and improving balance.
We always recommend making an appointment for any new onset spinal or extremity pain as well as for re-aggravations of previous symptoms to properly diagnose the underlying cause and to determine the most appropriate treatment.
To make an appointment, click on the following link: https://ledermanchiropractic.janeapp.com/
Yours in health,
We guide our patients with effective strategies for pain relief so that they can get back to the activities they love.